It's back to school month for most of us, but before you pack up that backpack, squeeze in a little more summer fun with these family-friendly local events in and around the Davis and Sacramento area.
- August 4 9:30am: Fun on the Farm with pollinators at Soil Born Farm. Children ages 3-9 will explore the farm and learn about what pollinators are and how they help us grow food. Kids will engage in various fun, educational activities, make a farm fresh snack, meet the farm animals and create something to take home.
- August 4 6-10pm: Enjoy a Twilight Picnic at the Taber Ranch Vineyard's Roots to Wine event. Tickets are $15 in advance or $20 at the door and get you access to local wineries and craft brews. Don't forget to bring your picnic blanket!
- August 10 5-9pm: There are two Pizza Nights at Full Belly Farm left this year! Join the good folk of Full Belly Farm for pizza and popsicles and a casual evening on the farm. Note: Farm Dinners are sold out for the rest of the year.
- August 11-12: The Japanese Food and Cultural Bazaar celebrates Japanese food and culture. This free event has taken place annually since 1947 and features demonstrations including the flower arranging art of ikebana, classic odori dancing, tea ceremonies and Taiko drumming.
- August 14 5:30-7pm: The Maker's Place is a co-working space for parents located in Sacramento. Not only do they provide local families with co-working space and childcare, they also plan monthly community gatherings to connect and collaborate with other local families. In August they are planning a Patio Party, complete with popsicles, festive drinks and a water table for the little ones!
- August 15-19: The Yolo County Fair is the largest and oldest free gate fair in California. This year's theme is Pigs, Pies & Paintings, and as always there will be the Demolition Derby, agriculture and animals, rides, and concessions.
- August 18 5-8pm: Explore the Sacramento Zoo after-hours while enjoying a sweet treat at the Ice Cream Safari! Tickets range in price from $13-24.
- There are a few tickets left for two of the Yolo Basin Foundation's Bat Talks & Walks this August (August 29 and 30). There is also Bats & Crafts on Saturday, August 11th. These events are always popular and often sold out! My kids LOVE watching the bats emerge from underneath the Yolo Bypass in the evenings -- it's quite a site if you haven't seen it before!
Get your tickets now for these local events happening in September: