June is bustling with fun family-friendly events! School is almost out (anyone else counting down the days?!) and Father's Day is just around the corner.
Below is a list of just some of the fun family-friendly events in and around the Sacramento Valley, including Davis, Sacramento and beyond.
What are you looking forward to doing this summer?
- Saturday and Sunday, June 2nd-3rd: Araceli Farms is hosting its first annual Lavender Festival at its farm located in Dixon. Grab a VIP ticket and it includes a "create your own bundle" of lavender!
- Sunday, June 3rd 1-4pm: Park Winters is a magical place and Hannah of Full Belly Farm is a magical farmer and floral designer. Pair the two and all the heart eyes. These two have teamed up again to offer a Floral Design Workshop (I attended the wreath-making workshop last fall and it was simply dreamy!).
Fall Wreath Workshop with Full Belly Farm at Park Winters
- Sunday, June 3rd: Wild Family Day at the UC Davis Arboretum, featuring games and activities for all ages, educational displays and live animals!
- Tuesday June 5th is ELECTION DAY! Take your kids to the polls and grab an "I Voted" sticker and teach them about our democracy.
- Friday, June 8th 7:30pm: Float-In Movie Night at Rutter Swim Center in Sacramento (float in, rather than drive in, get it?). They're showing a favorite in our household, Moana.
- Saturday, June 9th 8-10am: Enjoy a pleasant stroll around American River Ranch at the Soil Born Farms Bird Walk. It should be perfect for beginner to intermediate birdwatchers.
- Saturday, June 9th 5-7pm: Poppy and Oak is popping up with six other makers and artists at Capitol and 19th in Sacramento. Enjoy Sacramento's Second Saturday and stop by and say hi!
- Saturday, June 9th 5:30-6:30pm: Rather than the regularly scheduled Yoga in the Park on Saturday morning (see below), Yoga Moves Us is hosting Yoga on the Pitch! Tickets for this 60 minute class are $20 and includes one ticket to the Sacramento Republic FC match that evening along with a swag bag and free passes to local yoga studios. You can purchase tickets through one of the host studios, which include: Spotted Dog Yoga, Yoga, Shala, Zuda Yoga, Solfire Yoga and Purely Hot Yoga.
- Friday, June 15th - Sunday, June 17th: Davis Music Fest is a three day multi-venue multi-genre live music event to benefit arts education in our local public schools.
- Saturday and Sunday, June 16th-17th: Big Weekend of Small Trains at the California State Railroad Museum.
- Sunday, Jun 17th 11:30am - 5pm: Father's Day lunch at Park Winters featuring Berryessa Brewing Co. Tour the gardens, lounge by the pool and enjoy a delicious 4-course lunch paired with local brews. Children over 8 years old are welcome, however it's not a suitable event for the littler ones.
Park Winters has the perfect pool for lounging during those hot Northern California summers
- Thursday, June 21st: Make Music Day is a world-wide celebration of music, open to anyone who wants to fill the air with music.
And a few recurring events throughout the summer:
- Saturdays 9am: Yoga Moves Us offers free community yoga classes throughout the Sacramento region. The Davis Yoga in the Park is a free outdoor yoga class that brings some of the best teachers in the region to us right here at Community Park in Davis, every Saturday morning at 9am while the weather is nice. Feel free to bring the kiddos -- they can play at the nearby playground, run around or participate!
Yoga in the Park really is family-friendly, trust me
- Select days throughout the summer: Bat Talk and Walks at the Yolo Basin. Following a 45 minute indoor presentation on bat natural history, the group will carpool out to the Yolo Bypass Wildlife Area to watch the “flyout” of the largest colony of Mexican free-tailed bats in California. The bats emerge in long ribbons as they head out to hunt for insects for the night. To get to the viewing site, the group will caravan through wetlands and rice fields to an area not open to the public. (We often drive to the bypass at dusk to watch the flyout and our toddlers love it!)
And while not really family friendly, I had to throw in Pints & Poses, a community event bringing together Fit House Yoga at Sudwerk Brewery in Davis. Two of my favorite things. It takes place the last Saturday of the month in June, July and August. $25 gets you an hour yoga class and a pint of beer!