With Mother's Day just around the corner, May is bustling with fun family-friendly events!
Below is a list of just some of the fun family-friendly events in and around the Sacramento Valley, including Davis, Sacramento and beyond.
What are you looking forward to doing this May?
- Saturday, May 5th 9am-3pm: The California Raptor Center Spring Open House, located at UC Davis, will feature a meet-n-greet with their educational ambassador birds. Come early (8am) and bring binoculars for the Hawk Walk.
- Saturday, May 5th 10am-5pm: The California Honey Festival is a free event in downtown Woodland featuring demonstrations and lectures about all things bees/honey, including cooking demonstrations, live music and a kids zone. They also have a beer/mead/wine garden!
- Saturday, May 5th 11am-5pm: Kick off the season with the first River City Marketplace of the year, located at Fremont Park in Sacramento. Shop local and support the art, handmade goods and small businesses of Sacramento.
- Saturday, May 5th 4-10pm: Capay Cinco de Mayo Festival at Farm Fresh to You at Capay Organic will feature an evening of music, dancing, pick-up soccer games, tractor rides and u-pick from the fields. Advance tickets are $20 and kids under 12 are free. They also offer camping at the farm.
- Sunday, May 6th 9am-4pm: The Dinosaur Day Science Fest at the Sierra College Natural History Museum in Rocklin features paleontologist demonstrations, a dino pit for young paleontologists, and more! Tickets range from $5-10 and children under 5 are free.
- Thursday, May 10th 5-7pm: Perennial local cover-band favorite Cold Shot will be playing at Wine'd Down Thursdays at Sundstrom Hill Winery in Davis.
- Friday through Sunday, May 11-13th: Other than Picnic Day, the Whole Earth Festival was one of my favorite Davis events growing up. A free, student-run, zero-waste event, the Whole Earth Festival features music, food and a wide variety of various arts and crafts vendors. It's the perfect change to pick mom up one of those metal garden decorations!
- Saturday, May 12th 11am-2pm: National Public Gardens Day open house at the UC Davis Haagen-Daz Honey Bee Haven. Free sunflower plants for all visitors (while supplies last) and hard-to-find pollinator-friendly plants will be for sale.
- Saturday, May 12th 2-5pm: Hats and High Tea at Good Humus farm. Don your favorite hat and enjoy lunch in the garden with your mum! Tickets are $65 for adults and $35 for kids.
- Saturday, May 12th at either 10am or 2pm: Join local mom-artist/makers for the first River City Marketplace Soire workshop, featuring learning how to make mala bead bracelets with GypsyLamb, soaps with Sunshine Soap and Candle Company, water color basics with Tonja Wilcox Art & Design and soy wax candles with Peace, Love and Soy Wax. Tickets are $125.
- Sunday, May 13th: The Capay Valley Garden Tour features many of the valley's finest gardens and several workshops, including flower crown making at Good Humus and cut flower bouquets at Full Belly Farm. Tickets to the Garden Tour are $10 (kids are free) and workshops are $10.
- Sunday, May 13th: Mother's Day Succulent Workshop at Park Winters with Noelle DeMartini and Sweet Pea's Nursery. Tickets are $95.
- Thursday, May 17th 4:30-9:00pm: Celebrate Davis, at Community Park, features food, games, music and a kids zone.
- Sunday, May 20th 10am-3pm: A Day on the Farm at Soil Born Farms features a day of learning, eating, celebrating and exploring the natural world. Tickets are $5, kids under 2 are free.
And don't wait to sign up for these upcoming classes because they fill up quickly!
- Sunday, June 3rd 1-4pm: Wreath-Making Workshop with Fully Belly Farm at Park Winters (I attended this last year and it was simply dreamy!)
- Ginger Elizabeth classes including Stone Fruit Desserts & Jam (Saturday, June 23rd) and Ice Cream (Saturday, August 4th).
Want to be the first to know about fun family-friendly events in the Sacramento and Davis area? Sign up to receive the Poppy and Oak newsletter here.